Web Content Display

CoastWatch Forum Information

The NOAA CoastWatch Forum provides information in several categories.  The information is relevant to CoastWatch products and software (https://coastwatch.noaa.gov)  and vary in technical details.  For questions and issues not addressed here,  start a thread in the appropriate category or contact the CoastWatch HelpDesk (coastwatch.info@noaa.gov).  Please note our Privacy Policy (https://www.noaa.gov/privacy.html) and that this is a public forum.  All information is voluntarily and anonymous submissions are accepted pending review prior to posting. 

Forums

Back

RE: Using rxtractogon() to extract data per shapefile

MW
Morgan Winston, modified 3 Years ago.

Using rxtractogon() to extract data per shapefile

Youngling Posts: 12 Join Date: 9/6/17 Recent Posts

Hi there,

I went through the R tutorial 3 to learn how to extract data using shapefiles, which I understood, however my shapefile is composed of multiple polygons per island (including 1km buffer surrounding). I would like to extract the data per polygon and convert it to a format (like a data table) that is ggplot friendly because my ultimate goal is to plot a timeseries of SST by year for each island. Do you have any example code that I could reference for a question like this? Namely, a way to assign the island name (which is in the attribute table of the shape file) to the SST data extracted...

Thanks!

Morgan

CW
Cara Wilson, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 41 Join Date: 6/12/17 Recent Posts

Morgan - 

Simply change the variable name (ie set) that the extracted data is read into. So in the tutorial the code is:

sst <- rxtractogon (dataInfo, parameter=parameter, xcoord=xcoord, ycoord=ycoord, tcoord=tcoord)

But I think what you want to do is assign that variable by one you already have. If you are doing this is a do loop (using I as your indexing term) for multiple islands, you can reassign the variable name to one named for the island so if your island names are in the variable names 

names <- c('island1','island2') 

assign(names[i],sst)

and then the extracted data will be in a variable named by the items in the "names" variable.  

Does that make sense?  

Cara 

MW

Hi Cara,

When you say change the variable name that the extracted data is read into, are you referring to 'sst'?

I'm not sure I am following. Do you mean write a for loop (what's a do loop?) that extracts data for each island at a time (I think I can figure that out)? What is the best way to then merge the data together?

Thanks!

Morgan

CW
Cara Wilson, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 41 Join Date: 6/12/17 Recent Posts
Yes, sorry I meant a for loop. And yes I was referring to the sat on the left hand side of that command line. It can be called anything. You could forego a for loop and just make that call 10 times, with different values in the xcoord and ycoord variables and give the returned value a different name each time. 

Cara

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2020, at 5:05 PM, Morgan Winston <VLab.Notifications@noaa.gov> wrote:

Hi Cara,

When you say change the variable name that the extracted data is read into, are you referring to 'sst'?

I'm not sure I am following. Do you mean write a for loop (what's a do loop?) that extracts data for each island at a time (I think I can figure that out)? What is the best way to then merge the data together?

Thanks!

Morgan

--
Morgan Winston CoastWatch Virtual Lab Forum https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/coastwatch/coastwatch-knowledge-base/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/12349496 VLab.Notifications@noaa.gov

MW

Thanks Cara I got it all figured out.

Now having weird issue getting 1985 SST data - I get the following error:

sst <- rxtractogon(dataInfo, parameter=parameter, xcoord=xcoord, ycoord=ycoord, tcoord=tcoord) # extract sst data
[1] "dimension coordinate out of bounds"
[1] "dimension name: time"
[1] "given coordinate bounds 1985-01-01 1985-12-30"
[1] "ERDDAP datasets bounds 1985-01-01 12:00:00 2020-10-27 12:00:00"

My tcoord is:

tcoord <- c("1985-01-01", "1985-12-31")

Odd because I don't think its an error with the code - when I replace 1985 with 1986 it works! I thought there was data available for all of 1985? I am working with the CRW Daily SST dataset.

Morgan